Pouring boiling water over the mackerel fillet before cooking helps to remove some of its strong smell. If the bones are removed well, this slightly sweet dish is great for kids. Those who want a stronger flavor should allow more water to evaporate before serving. The fish keeps moist by cooking it slowly.
Mackerel Simmered in Miso
- 80 g Mackerel 1 Fillet
- 10 g Miso
- 15 g Mirin
- 15 g Sugar
- 5 g Soy Sauce
- 2 g Ginger
- Soak up the water from the mackerel using paper towels, and for those who care to, remove the bones.
- Cut an mackerel into the skin side of the fillet.
- Boil a bit of water and pour over the fillet.
- Mix the miso, mirin, sugar, soy sauce, and ginger in a separate bowl. In a frying pan, add the mackerel and enough water to cover it.
- Add the mixed ingredients and turn on the stove to medium heat.
- When the water begins to boil, cover the ingredients with a small lid or tin foil and let it sit.
- Once about half the water has evaporated, turn off the heat and serve.