Pork belly is one of very popular meats for home cooking in Japan. It’s often stir fried with vegetables, but this time we will simmer it with chinese cabbage. Pork juice, soy sauce, and sugar get mixed and absorbed in the cabbage. It’s best to eat with white rice.
Simmered Pork Belly and Chinese Cabbage
- 100 g Pork Belly
- 90 g Chinese Cabbage
- 50 g Onion
- Green Onion To taste
- 15 g Soy Sauce
- 15 g Sugar
- 30 g Shirodashi White Dashi Stock
- 100 ml Water
- Oil As needed
- Cut the chinese cabbage into easy-to-eat sized pieces and slice the onion.
- The green onion should be chopped finely and left in water.
- Any extra long pieces of pork belly should be cut smaller.
- Saute the pork in a pan with just a small amount of oil. Once both sides of the pork belly pieces are cooked, add and saute the onion and chinese cabbage.
- Once the oil has spread evenly between the ingredients, mix in the soy sauce, sugar, shirodashi, and water.
- Once the Chinese cabbage is softened and it's been about 10 minutes, move to a serving plate and finish up by adding the green onion on top.