This chili sauce is very popular in Japan. I often ate this chili sauce chicken for lunch when I worked in Tokyo and used to commute to an office in downtown. This chili sauce makes you to want to eat more rice and you eventually gets very full 🙂
I’m not sure this chili sauce chicken is popular in any other countries, but you would love it once you experience it. I occasionally see it in one of the most popular chinese fast food restaurant, Panda Express. This time, let’s make it home!
Chili Sauce Chicken
Sweet sour chilli sauce make your appetite increase. Eating with rice is the best!Print Pin Rate
Servings: 2 people
- 300 g Chicken thighs
- ½ Spring onion
- Green Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 piece Ginger
- 1 tsp Salt
- a pinch pepper
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp Doubanjiang Fermented chili bean paste
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tbsp oil
Deep fried chicken
- Cut the chicken into pieces slightly bigger than bite-sized, then lightly season it with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the seasoned chicken with potato starch, then deep-fry in oil at about 170°C. It’s important to not fry them too long, because they will be cooked more in chili sauce later.
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan, then fry the finely chopped spring onion, garlic, and ginger on a low fire.
- When the garlic and ginger start to become fragrant, add the bean sauce and stir-fry further
- When the bean sauce has dissolved in the oil, add the ketchup and sake. Fry the ketchup for a more authentic taste.
- When the ketchup has dissolved in the oil, add the chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- When the sauce comes to a boil add the potato starch which has been dissolved in some extra water, thickening the sauce.
- When the sauce is thick enough, mix in the chicken and let it simmer in there for about 1 minute
- Add the vinegar last, and dress the dish up by sprinkling the finely chopped green onions on top.
Calories: 563kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 2140mg | Potassium: 541mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 224IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 2mg
Share this recipe!